With this one, I toyed with a patchwork style with exposed seams.
And watching the Red Carpet, Sarah Jessica Parker's dress stood out to me. A lot of people hated it, and she ended up on a couple of "worst dressed" lists. I loved it and immediately sketched out an idea based on the bodice.
Detail under the flap...
And I saved the best for last...my little shadow.
Polymer clay: My first attempt was a *little* overdone. Hey, he's a crusty old pirate...literally.
X's and O's from a beading magazine. This one is black and silver with cobalt and black diamond swarovski crystals.
This one is covered with 140 baubles made from black diamond ab faceted round stones attached to a ladder stitch base. Yes, it took forever to make 140 baubles before I could even start the bracelet.
And the sewing bug has bit me big time! I found the pattern for a cupcake pincushion in a local quilt shop and thought it was the cutest thing ever. Breeze wanted the first one and opted for the "high calorie" instead of the "low calorie" pattern. This thing is HUGE!! It's like the pincushion that ate Tokyo or something!
See the ruler laying beside it? The base of it is about 3.5" wide, and it gets bigger from there.
Still trying to figure out how to take good pics with my new camera, so this one's kinda fuzzy. Another one of my designs. As soon as I finished it, Kat claimed it as hers. I couldn't argue with that because she *was* the inspiration for it.
And finally, a recon project. I took an old hoodie, removed the zipper and hood, cut the sleeves to 3/4 length, and did some tweaking. A little more dressy than a plain ole grey hoodie, but still comfortable. (That's an apron on my dressmaker under the jacket...not part of the project.)
And the solution to two problems at once!
Now for Susie...
Anyone who knows me well, knows that I LOVE handbags. Over the past few months, I've sketched several out with the intention of making all of them when I had some free time. Free time finally happened, and the Susie bag is finished.
The flower petals and leaf are some leftover leather I had laying around begging to be used. I still need to put a snap on it so it'll close. The bag is made from a man's wool suitcoat, and the strap is part of a belt I found at a thrift store.
Hopefully the free time will continue so I can get back to what I love to do. :)
And a closeup...
I worked on this bag for almost a month when I had time, and finally finished it up Saturday. Got it felted, and voila. I'm going to do some embellishing, but at least the bag itself is finished.
The pattern is from Knitty.com Winter '03 issue. French Market Bag
I also knocked out this number for Breeze. It's big enough for a book bag, but doesn't scream "Backpack". We found the fabric at Hancock's up in Charleston. I had it envisioned in my head, so I didn't bother with a pattern. The printed fabric is fashions through the years, and I added three black buttons as an accent and a zipper so she can close it up. I gave the sides and bottom some stability with plastic canvas between the outside and the lining.
I also made a needle case for a girlfriend, but dingbat here forgot to take a pic of it before I gave it to her. I did a beaded dolphin on it with a beaded rope trim. I'll be making myself one later on, so I'll be sure to post it.